Some bloggers are thinkers and some are linkers. This is primarily a linking blog (though I think sometimes). However, I couldn’t bring myself to link to People magazine, which broke the story that snowboarder Hannah Teter is planning on living in a yurt in Vermont. But ESPN posted an interview with her, so I can link to that. Here’s the yurt part:
Are you really considering the possibility of going “off the grid,” living in an adobe hut or a yurt on your parents’ property?
Adobe hut. No, they’re called Smiling Woods Yurts. They’re basically houses with super high ceilings. Every time I’ve been in a dome or a yurt, the ceiling of being inside one of those, where there’s no corners, it’s really energetic, so I’ve always wanted to live in one. So we’re building one at my parents’ house. And they’re just insane. If you see them online, they’re just gorgeous from inside.
Other fun facts about Hannah Teter:
- she is the first athlete to be honored with her own Ben & Jerry’s flavor (Maple Blondie)
- her family sells maple syrup (hence the ice cream flavor)
- she donates all of her snowboard winnings to support infrastructure projects in Kenya
- she sells underwear to help provide relief in Haiti (?)
- oh, and she won a gold in women’s snowboarding halfpipe in Torino in 2006, and a silver in Vancouver this year
Not bad for a fellow yurt-lover.